Last updated: January 29, 2020
Information Collection & Use
We collect information from you when you use the Service. Examples of our data collection practices are provided below:
- The Service integrates with your University or Institution’s Learning Management System (LMS) and Student Information System (SIS) to retrieve information about you, such as your name and email address.
- We use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our server, and to administer the Service. Your IP address is used to gather geographic information about the location of our users.
- The Service collects and stores statistics and other information about the online activities of our users on an aggregated (collected) basis. For example, we track the number of people who view each page, access frequency and duration, the order in which pages are viewed, and other information. We use this information for performance monitoring, sales and marketing purposes, and research purposes.
- The Service may also collect analytics data, or use third party analytics tools to measure traffic and usage trends.
The above list provides an example of the types of information that may be collected on the Service and some of the manner in which it may be used.
Use of Information Collected
We use the Information that we collect about you or that you provide to us in many ways, including but not limited to:
- Provide you with use of the Service and Digital Course Materials, and any other information, products or services that you request from us;
- Send you notifications via text, SMS or email;
- Identify you when you enter information on the Service;
- Give you notice about your account or subscription, such as renewal notice or updates to the software;
- Complete a transaction or service requested by you, such as printing content from the Digital Course Materials; and
- Carry out our obligations and enforce our rights pertaining to any agreements entered into between you and Unizin.
Although this is not an exhaustive list, we may share or disclose your information in the following instances:
- To members of Unizin and Unizin, including but not limited to schools and educational institutions, for research, administrative, internal business purposes, and/or development of the Service.
- To our affiliates, strategic partners, agents, service providers, agents or independent contractors who help us maintain the Service and provide other administrative services to us (including, but not limited to, maintaining and analyzing data, sending customer communications on our behalf, credit card processing services, providing customer service).
- To our Publishers (as defined in the Service EULA) for research, administrative, educational purposes, including but not limited to using your information to improve your experience with Digital Course Materials. We may, from time to time, receive information from your educational institution about students with disabilities and their need for or use of Digital Course Materals. Such information is de-identified information that we share with Publishers.
- To fulfill a request made by you.
- To comply with the law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary in order to conform to the requirements of law or comply with legal process served on us, protect and defend our rights or property, or the rights and property of our affiliates, or to act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of our end users, our systems, or the Service.
- To third parties as part of any corporate reorganization process or joint venture including, but not limited to, mergers, acquisitions, and sales, assignments or licenses of some, all or substantially all of our assets. To track and analyze non-identifying and aggregate usage and volume statistical information from our visitors and customers and provide such information to third parties.
- To protect against potential fraud, we may verify with third parties the information collected from the Service. In the course of such verification, we may receive personally identifiable information about you from such services.
The Service is not intended for children under the age of 13 and we do not knowingly collect any information from children under the age of 13 unless and until a school or educational institution has provided appropriate consent and authorization for a student under 13 to use the Service. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you believe we have collected personal information from anyone under the age 13 without proper consent.
We also strongly encourage parents and guardians to supervise their children’s online activities and to consider using parental control tools available from online services and software manufacturers to help provide a child-friendly online environment. These tools also can prevent children from disclosing online their name, address, and other personally identifiable information without parental permission.
Forums and Other Posting Areas
Please note that any information you post to any forum or other posting area in the Service may be available to other users of the Service. PLEASE BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WHEN DISCLOSING ANY INFORMATION IN THE Service’S FORUMS AND OTHER POSTING AREAS. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE USE BY OTHERS OF THE INFORMATION THAT YOU DISCLOSE IN FORUMS AND OTHER POSTING AREAS.
International Transfer of Information
Please note that we may transfer the information collected via the Service to affiliates and subsidiaries or to other third parties, across borders, and from your country or jurisdiction to other countries or jurisdictions around the world. If you are visiting from the European Union or other regions with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, please note that you are transferring your information to the United States which does not have the same data protection laws as the EU and by providing your information you consent to:
- The transfer of your information to the United States as indicated above.
Third-Party Web Sites
The Service has security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. For example, our database servers incorporate network, server, and data tier access control features such as security groups and role-based authentication and authorization.
Transmissions over the Internet, however, are never completely secure or error free. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for the circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Service.
Updates to This Policy
Your California Privacy Rights and Do Not Track Disclosures
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits our visitors who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personally identifiable information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make identifiable information requests, please contact us at email@example.com.
Student Data Collected During the Course of Providing Services to Educational Institutions
The Service provides services to schools and other educational institutions to improve student learning outcomes and as such, collects personally identifiable information from or about students ("Student Data"). Our collection, use and sharing of Student Data is governed by our contracts with the educational institutions, in the U.S. by the provisions of any applicable federal and state laws. If you have any questions about reviewing, modifying, or deleting personal information of a student, please contact your educational institution directly.
In the event that all or part of our assets are sold or acquired by another party, or in the event of a merger, you grant us the right to assign the information that we collected from you.
Access & Contact Information
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions, including questions about your personally identifiable information or if you would like to otherwise access or make a change to such information.